Gregory Paul wrote:
> Someone said something about it not being possible to tell if a flightless
> tetrapod with flight related features is neoflightless or not. We know
> that
> all current flightless birds are neoflightless.

It was me that wrote that there is no unambiguous anatomical evidence that
ratites had flying ancestors. I wrote that the way we can infer that they
are secondarily flightless is in phylogenetic context - since so many
birds that were more primitive flew. Thus the only way to demonstrate
neoflightlessness in their case is phylogenetic, not anatomical, analysis.

Would you agree?

Jason Brougham
Senior Principal Preparator
Department of Exhibition