Re: Avian flight stroke origin

On Mon, Aug 15th, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jason Brougham <jaseb@amnh.org> wrote:
> > Goats, as we know, also climb trees without benefit of a hallux:
> >
> > http://www.odditycentral.com/videos/the-tree-goats-of-morocco.html
>
> Ah, I wondered when we'd get to "But goats can climb trees!"  :-)
>
> What we have here is the distinction between "capable of" and "adapted
> for".  At any given time on planet Earth, the vast majority of goats
> are not climbing trees, and have no desire to.  Just because an animal
> *can* climb a tree under certain circumstances does not make it
> arboreal.  Goats are *not* adapted for an arboreal lifestyle.

Goats however *are* well adapted for climbing - just not trees specifically.
Their tree-climbing
abilities are an extension of their rock-climbing prowess.

A Google search using the words 'dam goats' will demonstrate just how good
Italian ibex are at
climbing.

This might also be pertinent to the Archaeopteryx discussion. A generalised
climber might not
show any specific arborial adaptations (such as perching feet) if it is
habitually scrambling up just
about anything to gain height (cliffs, steep hills, dead sauropods...)

Dann Pigdon