On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com> wrote:
> The biggest problem with GSP's "neoflightless" hypothesis is this:  It
> proposes that tree-dwelling theropods had plenty of time to evolve an
> extensive list of "flight-related" characters (advanced
> scapula-coracoid morphology; foldable forelimbs; shorter and distally
> stiffened tails; large contour feathers on the limbs and tail; etc).
> But over this same time, these tree-dwelling theropods didn't get
> around to evolving any arboreal characters.  I find this perplexing.

That's only a problem if you assume that "trees-down" is an essential
part of the neoflightless hypothesis. It doesn't seem to me that it
is. The neoflightless hypothesis may still be valid if avialans
(apomorphy-based sense) developed flight from the ground up.

--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/