On 8/15/2011 10:22 AM, Jason Brougham wrote:

But please note my point - there is nothing in ratite morphology that is an
unambiguous feature correlated with flight.

My resources are limited, but what I can glean indicates that the geo-record shows powered flight as pre-dating the knee-walking pelvic limb condition seen in modern birds, ratites (and phorusracoids, btw) included.