In a message dated 8/15/11 10:44:05 AM, keesey@gmail.com writes:

<< On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com> wrote:

> The biggest problem with GSP's "neoflightless" hypothesis is this:  It

> proposes that tree-dwelling theropods had plenty of time to evolve an

> extensive list of "flight-related" characters (advanced

> scapula-coracoid morphology; foldable forelimbs; shorter and distally

> stiffened tails; large contour feathers on the limbs and tail; etc).

> But over this same time, these tree-dwelling theropods didn't get

> around to evolving any arboreal characters.  I find this perplexing.

That's only a problem if you assume that "trees-down" is an essential

part of the neoflightless hypothesis. It doesn't seem to me that it

is. The neoflightless hypothesis may still be valid if avialans

(apomorphy-based sense) developed flight from the ground up. >>

Correct. The strict neoflightless hypothesis does not require arboreality.
I think it did but that's another matter.

GSPaul

</HTML>