In a message dated 8/15/11 8:21:29 AM, GSP1954@aol.com writes:

<< Ratites have a fullt developed suite of derived avian characters,
including
a skull with a severely reduced maxilla, paleognathus palate, advanced
braincase, strut like jugal and so on. Unless a fantastic level of
parallalism
occurred it is abjectly impossible for them to not have descended from
fliers
closely related to tinamous.

GSPaul