On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Don Ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 8/15/2011 10:22 AM, Jason Brougham wrote:
>
>> But please note my point - there is nothing in ratite morphology that is
>> an unambiguous feature correlated with flight.
>
> My resources are limited, but what I can glean indicates that the geo-record
> shows powered flight as pre-dating the knee-walking pelvic limb condition
> seen in modern birds, ratites (and phorusracoids, btw) included.

Interesting observation. Are there other taxa with long legs and short
femora? Also, didn't flight develop before the appearance of short
femora in the avian line? (Even assuming a conservatively late
appearance of flight, around Pygostylia rather than Eumaniraptora.)

--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/