From: Don Ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com>
Sender: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 12:56:51
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Ah ha! That's where therizinosaurs came from

On 8/14/2011 10:15 AM, Jason Brougham wrote:

> What would you say is the adaptive explanation for parrots losing their
> furculae?

They simply do not need them, is the null. Neutral traits can be
conserved, either by chance, or linkage to other trait(s).

The adaptive question of relevance is "Why did they have wishbones in
the first place?", which is obviously goes way beyond parrots.

Good thing it did not happen in turkeys -- it would be culturally
disturbing during the holidays.

Here is an observation -- a wild turkey (American-style) can die while
gripping a tree-branch, rotate around the branch, and then decompose
while hanging upside down, it's feet locked on the branch. Still there 3
weeks later...

I assume the branch diameter was a critical factor.