Re: Looking for references on the osteology of the Hoatzin

Dear Dan,

Here are a few suggestions:

Banzhaf, W. 1929. Die Vorderextremität von Opisthocomus cristatus. Zeitschrift für Morphologie und Ökologie der Tiere 16: 113-233.

Dias, A. G., 1995. Estudo sobre a cigana (Opisthocomus hoazin), sua anatomia em particular. Boletim Museu Paraense Emilio Goeldi Serie Zoologia 11: 17-32.

Korzoun, L., Erard, C., Gasc, J.-P. & Dzerzhinsky, F.J. 2003. Les adaptations de l'hoazin (Opisthocomus hoazin) à la folivorie. Caractéristiques morphologiques et particularités fonctionnelles des appareils du bec et hyoïdien. Comptes Rendus Biologies, 326 (1): 75-94.

Marceliano, M. L. V., 1995. Estudo osteológico do cranio de Opisthocomus hoazin (Müller, 1776) (Aves: Opisthocomidae), comparado com algumas espècies de Cracidae, Musophagidae e Cuculidae. Boletim Museu Paraense Emilio Goeldi Serie Zoologia 12: 95-246.

Seibel, D.E. 1988. A phylogenetic analysis of the Cuculiformes and Opisthocomus, based on postcranial skeletal characters. PhD dissertation, University of Kansas, 258 pp.

Shufeldt, R. W. 1918. Notes on the osteology of the young of the hoatzin (Opisthocomus cristatus) and other points on its morphology. Journal of Morphology 31:599-615.

Sibley, C. G., and J. E. Ahlquist. 1973. The relationships of the hoatzin. Auk 90:1-13.

Sych, V.F. 1988. Caractéristiques morphologiques de la musculature de l'extrémité pelvienne chez Opisthocomus hoazin (Galliformes). Zoologičeskij žurnal, 67 (12): 1854-1864.
<http://www.refdoc.fr/?traduire=en&FormRechercher=submit&FormRechercher_Txt_Recherche_name_attr=listeTitreSerie:%20%28Zoologi%C4%8Deskij%20%C5%BEurnal%29>
Zinov'ev, A.V. 2007. Apparat dvunogoi lokomotsii kukushkoobraznykh (Cuculiformes): stsenarii adaptivnoi evolyutsii. Zoologičeskij žurnal 86 (10): S1250-1258.

Good luck !

Jocelyn

PS: A funny quote from Sibley and Ahlquist (1973): Stresemen (1965) would have say that "If Opisthocomus is related to the gallinaceous birds it is only by way of Adam and Eve". Quite a statement ! XD