Quake and shake on eastern seaboard

Was working on my computer just before 2 PM when there was what seemed to
be a strong north-south movement. My 3rd floor abode can bounce to passing
traffic but this was far more intense. After a few seconds it stopped
(longitudinal P waves me thinks), to be followed by an even stronger more
vertical
motion (shaking S waves I presume). Is a near surface 5.8 out of northern
Virginia that was felt as far as NYC. Because the ground is harder on the east
coast quake motions are transmitted much further than on the softer ground
west coast. It is possible that these are Pleistocene quakes resulting from
crustal adjustments in response to the current lack of glacial mass to the
north. If a really big one hits we are toast due to lack of earthquake codes.

Is the first quake I have ever actually felt. Reminds me of earlier this
summer when at Jim Farlow's Pipe Creek screening we watched and felt 16 tonnes
of Amfo (same fertilizer-kerosene mix used by McVey) to blast off 50,000
tonnes (weight of an Iowa class battleship) of a limestone quarry wall from
almost half a mile away, producing immediate stong vertical shaking followed
two or three seconds later by modest rumbling roar.

Of course this is trivia to west coasters.

GSPaul </HTML>