Re: Public Database of Geologic Formation Ages?

On Wed, August 24, 2011 3:54 am, Jocelyn Falconnet wrote:

Denver is correct here. "Lower", "Middle", and "Upper" are
chronostratigraphic (rock) units, and biostratigraphic markers are ALSO
technically rock units (bodies of rock whose boundaries are indicated by
presence of index fossils). Biostrat markers are proxies for time, but
they are NOT time units.

The terms "Early" and "Late" are geochronologic (time) units.

So following Denver, the base of the Upper Maastrichtian is the appearance
of H. birkelundi. This event has subsequently been estimated as occurring
at 69.23 Ma.

                        Department of Geology
                        Building 237, Room 1117
                        University of Maryland