RE: Do we have dromaeosaurid evolution backward?

Hopp and Orsen do actually argue that their hypothesis can help explain the
aerodynamic aspect, as the narrower "leading" edge of the vanes is more
conducive to tight folding, rather than just to aeroplaning the wing planform.
This would then go hand in hand with wings that tend to be tightly folded,
rather than just forming "wings" and gliding surfaces. Those then become
exaptations. It may progress from a brooding "wing," running aerofoils, WAIR
aerofoils, parachuting -> gliding aerofoils, which would then force the wing to
develop "braking" mechanisms such as the alula to assist in retarding stall.
Wing planform control can exist very early on in the evolution of the
structure, and need not ever involve the development of flight.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)
  http://qilong.wordpress.com/