Re: Mesozoic roots of parrots and passerine birds

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mickey Mortimer <mickey_mortimer111@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> Though I do find the name Eufalconimorphae terrible, especially for that
>> clade.
>
> Don't worry, Eufalconimorphae won't ever appear again.  Like Pegasoferae.

Pegasoferae is one of the few names dreamed up by molecular
researchers that actually shows a bit of creativity. What do you call
a clade that includes bats, horses, and Ferae (i.e., Carnivora plus
whatever it's closest to, in this case pangolins)? Combine the bats
and horses into winged horses, and then combine again! I think that's
pretty clever.

Much better (worse) names from molecular studies: Boreoeutheria,
Eulipotyphla, and (worst of all) Euarchontoglires (ugh!!). (YMMV on
Whippomorpha, which is at least playful, if perhaps too silly.)

(Eufalconimorphae might be even worse than these, though....)
--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/