RE: Mesozoic roots of parrots and passerine birds

Linguistics be damned, David. You should know by now that people love their
little conventions (he says oh so disparagingly). Additionally, some
nomenclature exists outside of the "proper" formulation of Latin and Greek, and
in some cases is impossible despite the ICZN mandating it. "Eufalconimorphae"
(if it gets published, which it hasn't -- on paper, where it _matters_ right
now) is a unique combination of words rather than a modification of another
name, despite the apparent need to only slap "Eu-" where another name already
exists (e.g., *Eucostapolygnathus*).

The convention of this nomenclature is, in many ways, related to the sense that
having -iformes, -omorpha, -idae, -aceae, etc. persist in modern biological
nomenclature. If it becomes used enough, it becomes entrenched. The only way to
fight it is to begin developing nomenclature deliberately in defiance of the
convention, using your own choices, and to likely reject the use of a
convention in your nomenclature. The nesting system of nomenclature suggested
by many adherents of the PhyloCode (not including myself, but including de
Quieroz and Keesey) defies the property of the nomenclature in general by using
mechanical elements without the sense of "real" nomenclature, including the use
of symbols or (sometimes) internal capitalization, which just looks ODD and
off-putting at first. But it seeks to set a precedence for convention, and when
THAT becomes prevalent, regardless of whether it sets aside further
nomenclature, we'll come around to people who are forced to constrain their
nomenclature toward unimaginative and formulaic names.

My preference is that we are NOT constrained by automatic stem or crown
affices, nesting sets of suffices, etc. This means defying the properties of
the conventions being offered in lieu of the conventions in place, and defying
those as well.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)