RE: Mesozoic roots of parrots and passerine birds

  Dyke, Clarke and a few others have effectively argued that the material does
not resemble any modern psittaciform mandible, and as Dyke and Mayr have
argued, does not resemble that of Paleogene or Neogene psittaciform fossils. It
is then considerably unlikely to be a parrot. I comment futher here:
http://qilong.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/a-cretaceous-parrot/ . It may still be
avian, however, and I specifically do not take this argument because of a
limited level of comparison. It is, in any case, psittaco-morphic (having the
shape of a parrot) but this is a generalization based on the rounded of the
rostral margin, fusion, and the shape of neurovascular canals both within and
upon the symphysis.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)