RE: Mesozoic roots of parrots and passerine birds

  Andrea Cau, in response to my comments on the purported Cretaceous parrot
described briefly by Stidham, has run the specimen into his Megamatrix,
(http://theropoda.blogspot.com/2011/08/un-pappagallo-cretacico-in-megamatrice.html),
 where is comes out as a basal oviraptorosaur. I am actually not at all
surprised by this result, and my strong sense is that it is pulled to the
oviraptorosaurians without actual derived apomorphies, on the basis of fusion
of the dentary symphysis. This is an intriguing result, and it may mean that I
am wrong when I say that I think it's a avialaean of some sort. For the record,
I _do_ plan on going into this subject in further detail. But, that will take
some time!

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)