RE: Dilophosaurus

> I was wondering, what is up with 'DIlophosaurus sinensis'
> that obviously is different? Is it be a new genus or what?

It is not Dilophosaurus. Whether it is a new genus or a very old one remains to
be published... :-) (There is such a study in the
works).

> And are coelophysids still ceratosaurs or something else?

Something else: basal to the dilophosaur + (ceratosaur + tetanurine) clade.
Probably. Although some studies do find a good
old-fashioned Coelophysoide sensu me.

> Because removing them from ceratosauria leaves the ceratosaur
> appearing out of no where in the Mid jurassic

It now appears that the coelophysoids of old are a paraphyletic series with
regards to Averostra (Ceratosauria + Tetanurae). So some
of the old-style "coelophysoids" probably actually contain the ancestors of
ceratosaurs and tetanurines.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216