RE: Dilophosaurus

1. *Averostra* is linguistically inaccurate; "Avirostra" is correct, as the
stem of _aves_ is not _ave-_ but _avi-_.

2. If we were just around making words that "look" good, then we'd hardly
bother with language, would we? We'd just make up pretty words and say they
mean stuff. Otherwise, "averostra" starts sounding like "ancestral snout," not
the equally inaccurate "bird snout."

3. And speaking of, the term "bird snout" is really, really inaccurate under
virtually ANYONE'S concept of bird (well, I guess not people who think "bird"
means the stem of the total/crown). *Dilophosaurus* doesn't look like at has
anything similar to a bird's snout that, say *Archosaurus,* especially when
birds _don't_ have those accessory pneumatic openings that are being referred
to here.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)