RE: Dilophosaurus

I wrote:

<<2. If we were just around making words that "look" good, then we'd
hardly bother with language, would we? We'd just make up pretty words
and say they mean stuff.>>

Tim williams responde:

<I thought that's what language was. ;-)>

  In disagreement to Mike Keesey, who responded to Time with "Fair point[,]" I
think I must disagree. Some languages develop formulae for construction, and
mandate that this structure be followed above all else. Such languages include,
famously, Latin. We continue to be reminded of enforcing trends in linguistic
structure in Latin so tight that we have debates about what _should_ apply
between two stems to connect them. While German lacks the rule for connecting
letters, it does have similar constructs (and "pretty" is in the eye of the
beholder: unlike the infamous duality of the sleek, sexiness of French, the
harsh, brutality of German can be off-putting to English readers, not because
French is somehow better but because French is more melodic, although also
formulaic in its structure as far as how you pronounce and connect words in
speech).

  This is more apparent in created languages: Klingon is so formulaic, despite
the invention of new words on the fly, that the structure of words defies even
case in transliteration, a tact meant to help convey, as in Slavic languages,
place-specific letters for various sounds. Transliteration in Arabic can be
just as problematic, given to differences merely in how to use "q" or "d" which
can differ in pronunciation, but never in original typography.

  Language is a machine meant to convey absolute ideas, and thus a word has an
absolute meaning, even if that meaning is very encompassing or very
unemcompassing, or changes frequently. Thus language follows rules, even in our
own heads, for how we can interpret the world and convey the idea to others (or
just to ourselves). Even Carroll didn't just make up words to suit a term of
nonsense, they were virtually all derived as portmanteaus, supposedly a subject
of Shakespeare's skill as well, where two structures are mechanically merged to
form an elegant whole. English or German words entering Japan are simply
modified using the lingustic _structure_ of the new language, and thus aren't
just made up. It's quite possible that no new words are actually created,
regardless of their elegance, but are always based in one fashion or another on
some esoteric concept we are simply not aware of. Even fantasy words and names
that come up in various forms, especially Tolkein's work, are based on real
world homologues.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)