Avipoda (was RE: Dilophosaurus)

Although it gets less press, there is a related name Avipoda Novas 1992 "coined
to include Eustreptospondylus (Callovian, England),
Piatnitzkysaurus (Callovian, Patagonia), Compsognathus (Tithonian, Germany;
Portlandian, France), and Tetanurae (=Allosaurus +
Coelurosauria)".

Novas' incarnation of Tetanurae here is overly restricted, and is in fact
Avethropoda aka Neotetanurae. But Avipoda could be used
for a node-based clade incorporating Megalosauroidea, Carnosauria, and
Coelurosauria. At present that name isn't particularly
helpful, as we don't have any clear tetanurines (i.e., taxa closer to Passer
than to Ceratosaurus) that are not also 'avipods' in
this sense. But in the future, discovery of basal tetanurines rootward of
'Avipoda' could make the term acutally serve a purpose.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/