Re: Pterofiltrus, new pterosaur from China

They're not the only confusing things. No comparison with the rather similar
(if much larger) Feilongus, another Yixian ctenochasmatoid (or
Archaeopterodactyloid, whatever you want to call it). This would have been an
interesting comparison to make: given their similar dentitions, palatal ridges,
the probable juvenile status of Pterofiltrus, their coexistence in the same
strata, is it not possible that Pterofiltrus is merely a half-size Feilongus?
There's no crest on the former, but given the evidence from all plenty of other
pterosaurs on crest development, this may not mean much at all (and, indeed,
you wouldn't expect a young Feilongus to sport much, or any, of a crest at
all). Not saying this is right, of course, but it's a possibility that could,
maybe should, have been looked into.

Some pretty big editorial guffs have made it into press, too. Note that the
line drawing in the paper contradicts the text: it doesn't show the teeth
extending under the nasoantorbital fenestra, as clearly stated as doing so in
the paper. Unfortunately, the photo doesn't provide much resolution to the
issue, either. The skull reconstruction used to illustrate the preserved
elements doesn't really look like their new animal, being much longer in the
jaw and shorter in the skull. This isn't really surprising: it's a crestless
version of the restored Gegepterus skull from Jiang and Wang's 2011 paper on
that animal and not based on the Pterofiltrus at all. I'm surprised these
issues weren't picked up in review, to be honest: the first issue makes it very
hard to work out what this animal actually looks like, and the others suggest a
rather hurried job from the authors.

Mark

>>> Matthew Martyniuk <martyniuk@gmail.com> 01/12/2011 20:15 >>>
I found it odd that the authors themselves state that it cannot be
directly compared to _Beipiaopterus_ and _Elanodactylus_ (due to lack
of cranial elements) and that it differs from _Boreopterus_ in that
"the teeth are inclined anteriorly, while in _Pterofiltrus_, they are
inclined not only anteriorly but also ventrally".

Matt