Re: Unescoceratops and Gryphognathus, new ceratopsians from Alberta

The use of non-classical languages for naming new taxa is already in
full swing, and there's no danger of exhausting the potential supply
of names.  A diversity of languages has already provided inspiration
for new fossil taxa, alone or in combination with classical Latin or
Greek.  Here's just a smattering of examples: Sioux
(_Ekgmowechashala_), Aztec (_Quetzalcoatlus_), Hebrew (_Livyutan_),
Arabic (_Microtuban_, _Chebsaurus_), Australian Aboriginal (_Kakuru_,
_Tingamarra_), Touareg (_Jobaria_), Mapuche (_Unenlagia_,
_Futalognkosaurus_), Xhosa (_Qwebasaurus_), Mongol (_Shuvuuia_,
_Khaan_), Sanskrit (_Citipati_), Chinese (_Dilong_, _Shanweiniao_),
Basque (_Lirainosaurus_), Byzantine Greek (_Atsinganosaurus_), even
English (_Gasosaurus_).

There's no limit to the number of potential new names, only one's
imagination in coming up with new names.  Having said that, and to
demonstrate what a craven hypocrite I am, when I recently had cause to
name a new genus and species of bacterium (doi:
10.1099/ijs.0.037697-0), I opted for the traditional (and boring)
classical Greek and Latin.

Cheers

Tim