RE: Sinosauropteryx feather paper (free pdf)

That's what's being disputed. Or it would if the photos in the pdf we have
utterly worthless. This paper is nothing new, and reiterates what TLS presented
last year on the topic disputing melanosomes. *Sinosauropteryx prima* is being
considered the sacred cow of the "Birds are Dinosaurs" position, a very BAD one
(if you will) and as such any method of disputation is seen as "firm" and
"absolute." It's what's really amusing about the whole thing.

  My challenge to TLS stands: Test this hypothesis by examining a Liaoning
mammal specimen and show me what differs between the "haloes" of that and
*Sinosauropteryx prima*.

  Although, while new data has been suggested about the opisthotonic posture in
specimens being of aquatic origin, TLS did not have this data and relied on a
specific study to provide the "neural spasm" hypothesis to inform data, which
allows the specimen to be dry land only and the integument to be firmly and
completely destroyed prior to burial, absolving anyone from having to consider
anoxic water burial to result in the preservation of fine integumental
material. When this is published, I shall add it to my ongoing review:

http://qilong.wordpress.com/2009/09/22/lingham-soliars-review-of-chinese-fossil-preservation/

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)