Re: Sinosauropteryx feather paper (free pdf)

Jaime Headden <qi_leong@hotmail.com> wrote:

>   My challenge to TLS stands: Test this hypothesis by examining a Liaoning
> mammal specimen and show me what differs
> between the "haloes" of that and *Sinosauropteryx prima*.

Now that this work by Lingham-Soliar's has been published, it needs to
be refuted in the same way: by specifically refuting the methodology
and conclusions as a scientific publication.  Any such publication
will certainly have the added benefit of strengthening the hypothesis
that _Sinosauropteryx_'s integumental structures are indeed feather
homologs.

In a similar fashion, the rubbish published on _Longisquama_'s
'feathers' (Jones et al., 2000) was directly rebutted by later
publications (Reisz & Sues, 2000; Voigt et al., 2008).  As well as
demonstrating that the structures in question were *not* feathers,
that last publication also cast strong doubt on the aerodynamic
properties of these structures, thereby dealing a double-blow to the
_Longisquama_-bird link.

Cheers

Tim