RE: Alamosaurus as biggest North American sauropod

  I think you misunderstand. Right now, the subject of nomenclature has _no_
metrics applied to it. There is no process for validating _why_, merely _how_,
an animal gets a name; just as there is no process that says we should or
shouldn't use the names once they've been formulated. The various nomenclatural
codes only care about what is technically valid from the _legal_ standpoint,
yet many names so validated are not used because they are treated as synonyms.

  The lack of a system that allows us to qualify _when_ we should name a taxon
leads us to where we are, where people from anywhere can just jump in, name
something, and then insist that name be used. Others with modify taxonomy,
somehow pretend ranks exist and "step up" a taxon from species to "genus" and
insist the latter be used rather than the previous comibination, or vice versa.
The issue of synonymy is another can-o'-worms simply because explicit synonymy
is damned hard to prove without, say, demonstrating the specimens are the exact
same individual, but it requires a substantive amount of material to start
qualifying this (as is happening with the species included in *Triceratops* and
*Edmontosaurus*). We are fortunate that morphometrics and various other
mathematical treatments for large datasets allow us to quantify variation to a
given set, but the nomenclature within the set is shaky: One may treat two
species within the same "genus" as two species each in their own unique
"genus," as every way to compare them is the same, and only the "generic"
nomenclature differs.

  This issue is about nomenclature consistency, and that won't happen until
groups agree WHEN and WHEN NOT to name a thing. This leads to the proliferation
of papers doing nothing but "clean up" taxonomy, revising what should or
shouldn't be synonyms, or determining things to be _nomina dubia_ ... as if
that meant _anything_ other than "I don't want anyone else to use this taxon".
It is ultimately about ART, and as we all know, ART is extremely subjective. So
too is nomenclature in taxonomy.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)