RE: Deinonychus claw use and origin of flapping

  I am going to reserve my comments in specific for a few days. I want to say
that I really like this paper, and that the other paper that came out in _PLoS
ONE_ today with John Scannella as an author (a response to Farke's discussion
on the viability of the separate *Nedoceratops hatcheri* -- my comments are now
online here:
http://qilong.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/i-cannot-compel-to-reason-triceratops-we-done-it-again/)
 is very well composed for its intitial points.

  What really strikes me about the paper is the way it is written, something I
noted about another recent paper although for technical reasons here:
http://qilong.wordpress.com/2011/12/08/what-carbon-has-to-do-with-it/ Fowler et
al. write in a personal narrative, and the structure is at once compelling and
oft-putting because it's a little less than _de rigeur_ you'd typically expect
for in depth hypothesis testing. This is largely because the article is
proposing a scenario, and Dial's 2003 WAIR paper was written much the same way,
as were formative Ostrom papers on the topic of avian flight. Awesome,
personable stuff. So I'd like to get that off my chest.

  I really, really like Fowler et al.'s explanation for tooth morphology, and
it jives nicely with the biomech work that's been done on jaws recently, as
they note. Awesome stuff.

  I'd like to say that, about topics 2 and 3 below, that there is a paradoxical
element to the RPR hypothesis:

  Fowler et al. propose that basal deinonychosaurs were cursors, likely pursuit
hunters. I would bring attention to Hartman's discussion of the argument that
early pre-birds could run around with their arms and tail as stabilizing
aerofoils, where the exaptation is towards an elevated forelimb that could
tangentially lead into WAIR, and a broader, shorter tail can develop more
maneuverability. Instead, the trajectory was toward an apparently
hypercursorial pes in troodontids (due to proportions and the
arctometatarsalian pes), while the dromaeosaur lineage shortened this feature
after the split with *Microraptoria*. Dromaeosaurids are short-legged, larger,
and likely ambush hunters. Yet it is not these animals have have developed
shoulder motility, broad sterna, or proportionally longer arms to body size.
They have shortened the arms, shortened the leg, and reduced shoulder mobility.
Thus, it might seem that instead of developing a should-arm "flapping"
mechanism on the lineage to birds, they did so completely isolated and parallel
to the evolution of the modern avian flight stroke. This is important when you
consider that some dromaeosaurs (esp. the unenlagiines) had particularly short
forelimbs, and form the sister group to the dromaeosaurines (sensu lato), while
at the same time retained these features at small size (*Buitreraraptor
gonzalezorum*). Depending on the order of divergence (microraptorians
(unenlagiines, dromaeosaurines)) or (unenlagiines (microraptorians,
dromaeosaurines)), thus could upset the trajectory favored in the paper that
the arms and behavior of large-bodied dromaeosaurids had anything to do with
the evolution of the avian flight strike.

  ... but, like I said, awesome stuff.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)