Re: Deinonychus claw use and origin of flapping

Hmmmmm.... I'm glad I was still mulling over writing follow-up
(http://dml.cmnh.org/2011Nov/msg00436.html). Fowler et al basically
pulled back the curtain concealing the revelation I was trying to
tease out from hiding via my questioning: Exaptation fits the bill
nicely.

My concern is that we were painting ourselves into a corner and
setting ourselves up for future ridicule.

The situation is hauntingly reminiscent of the days of old, when
Feduccia would claim that although they looked very much alike, one
could not go from a theropod manus to a bird manus... Yet in that same
breath, he had no trouble accepting a horse's foot was derived from a
basal five-digit eutherian manus... or that the manus of something
that looked like Longisquama’s evolved into a bird's manus...

Arguments against even partial arboreality based on difficulties in
climbing down from a tree? This hands are too loose/too stiff to climb
stuff?  Etc, etc, etc... What would one expect to see in intermediate
steps??? Seriously... We actually are trying to sell the line,
Feduccia-style, that goats... GOATS... could start to climb trees and
then be selected for better climbing traits, but not theropods.

It’s basic; Selection only works if there is a need. How did the need
for the traits we deem as “requirements” for arboreality begin if
protobirds weren’t up in the trees before they needed the traits to be
up in the trees???  Where’s the logic? Awfully convenient that many
ended up in the trees only AFTER they were evolved to allow such
behaviour, right?

So, we end up with arguments that boil down to saying;
"Birds/theropods were unlikely to have become arboreal without
cursorial basal birds/theropods possessing the capabilities, traits,
and behaviours for becoming arboreal.  However, the capabilities,
traits, and behaviours for becoming arboreal wouldn't have been
selected for until cursorial basal birds/theropods became arboreal."

A Catch-22.

Granted, I don’t agree with all aspects/extensions of the scenario,
but the RPR theory offers a road to an escape from that Catch-22. In
addition, it fits right in with something that Matt Wedel recently
stated on SVPOW in a review of Sideshow's Apatosaurus maquette; “It is
worth keeping mind, however, that anatomy is not destiny (Smith and
Redford 1990); the behavior of living animals is often more varied
than their skeletal form might suggest, and in some cases
morphological specialization can lead to ecological generalization....
Just pointing out that certain kinds of morphological specializations
broaden, rather than narrow, the ecological opportunities of the
animals that bear them."

I’ll raise a full stein of Leffe to that.

Theories like RPR, coupled with the theme of morphological
specializations broadening ecological opportunity, successfully gnaw
away arguments about theropods automatically being banned from
arboreal or scansorial behaviours unless they had the exact required
claw geometry, or the perfect toe placement, or the perfect limb
length ratios, or the perfect joint flexibility, or the perfect
anything... especially since these arguments are often based on
standards using highly derived or specialized forms.

What’s sexy about all of this is that it culminates as an inescapable
conclusion; the search for "refined" arboreal/scansorial adaptations
in protobirds is just a tad bit premature. We are so driven to find
that neat, orderly pattern... that elusive “trajectory” composed of
straight-forward, categorizable, easily defined, dot-connecting, steps
that our poor brains so desperately want to recognize... that we
forget nature isn’t always so predictable, orderly, or neat.
“Novelties” like exaptation really toss in a monkey wrench... but this
type of crazy thing shouldn’t be unexpected. After all, how more
radical can you get than taking a cursorial animal and putting it into
the air???

Kris