RE: Deinonychus claw use and origin of flapping

> Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 16:22:11 +1100
> From: tijawi@gmail.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Deinonychus claw use and origin of flapping
>
> Anthony Docimo <keenir@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > so you don't think dinosaurs could handle slopes,
>
> Of course dinosaurs could handle slopes. But *as well* as goats can...?

 you're not comparing apples to apples...you aren't even comparing apples to
oranges.  you're comparing apples to durians, and reaching the conclusion that
apples are horrible at keeping away burglers, because durians are much more
effective.  (weight, aroma)

> > and you don't think dinosaurs could handle trees.
>
> I never said that. I said I want evidence. More than just "Why not?"

 Just like I would like evidence that goats would pwn theropods in every
enviroment they occupied.  rather than just "well goats have mammalian spines
and they can live in mountains and trees."

 if mammalian flexible spines were the vital ingredient, not only would birds
not have evolved (bats would've instead), but the mammals would have wiped out
the dinosaurs long before the early Cretaceous.

> > see bottom of the post. I never said unscalable terrain - I said uneven
> > terrain. you know...hills. mountains both high and low.
> You've gone off on a tangent here. The ability to negotiate narrow
> ledges and very steep terrain also makes goats adept at climbing
> trees.

and yet we don't find ibex or baby yaks in trees.  (both are even better with
those conditions than goats)

> This is not the same as walking up a hill.
>

> Plus, did I mention that goats are mammals? Yes, I think I did. ;-)

 so are ferrets - show me a goat with *that* much flexibility.

> > amphibious, maybe...but not specialized for an aquatic life (like manatees
> > are)

> In this context, "aquatic" vs "amphibious" is a distinction without a
> difference. Check out Liu et al. (2008; PNAS 105: 5786-5791). The
> point is that early proboscideans like _Moeritherium_ are inferred to
> have spent most of their time in water.

 so do hippos now...I still don't class them with dolphins, whales, and
manatees.

> > sure. but *hills*?

> What have "hills" got to do with it? The ability to climb up a hill
> is not the same as the ability to climb up a tree.

 what do they have to...  trees were mentioned initially and throughout, then
(after initially) you mentioned the stiff spines of theropods, then you later
mentioned theropods couldn't handle uneven ground.  ergo to me, hills.