Re: Deinonychus claw use and origin of flapping

Anthony Docimo <keenir@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Just like I would like evidence that goats would pwn theropods in every
> enviroment they occupied.  rather than just "well goats
> have mammalian spines and they can live in mountains and trees."
>
>  if mammalian flexible spines were the vital ingredient, not only would birds
> not have evolved (bats would've instead), but the
> mammals would have wiped out the dinosaurs long before the early Cretaceous.

I'm really not sure what you're referring to here.  But if you think
I'm claiming that the morphology of the spine was the magic ingredient
that allowed mammals to climb trees, no that's not what I'm saying at
all.  The ancestral placental osteology comprises a suite of
characters that is attuned to a scansorial/arboreal lifestyle.  None
of these characters were present in theropods - or any dinosaurs for
that matter.

> and yet we don't find ibex or baby yaks in trees.  (both are even better with
> those conditions than goats)

Goodness gracious, what are you talking about?  Goats have adaptations
that allow them to live in topographically challenging terrestrial
environments - such as cliff faces.  These adaptations also allow them
to clamber through branches as well, in a more-or-les opportunistic
manner.  It does not follow that any mammal that can handle narrow or
elevated terrain *must* therefore climb trees.

>  what do they have to...  trees were mentioned initially and throughout, then
> (after initially) you mentioned the stiff spines of
> theropods, then you later mentioned theropods couldn't handle uneven ground.
>  ergo to me, hills.

I never said theropods couldn't handle uneven ground.  Goats (yes, I'm
mentioning goats again) are specialized for handling extremely uneven
terrain.  That's why they are so adept in trees.  Even I can climb a
hill - but I couldn't scale a rock wall with what nature gave me.

Cheers

Tim