Re: and origin of flapping

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Anthony Docimo <keenir@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  that you keep saying theropods' bodies were hopelessly unable to ever cobble
> together a way to take flight (while mammals were), then it begs the question
> of why birds evolved at all - and we didn't just get earlier bats or more
> pterodactyls.

I believe he [Tim WIlliams] is saying that theropod bodies are not
predisposed to *arboreality*, not that they aren't predisposed to
flight.

Unlike birds, pterosaurs and bats form their wings from skin stretched
between digits, body, and hindlimbs. Unlike bats and pterosaurs, birds
have decoupled hindlimbs that allow for cursoriality. It's pretty
obvious that the evolution of flight in birds was significantly
different from that in pterosaurs and bats. It's quite possible that
the early stages did not involve arboreality.

--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/