Dicynodon revised in SVP Memoir

From: Ben Creisler
bscreisler@yahoo.com

A non-dinosaur, but may be of interest to DML members:
Christian F. Kammerer, Kenneth D. Angielczyk & Jörg Fröbisch (2011)
A comprehensive taxonomic revision of Dicynodon (Therapsida, Anomodontia) and
its implications for dicynodont phylogeny, biogeography, and biostratigraphy.
Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 31, Supplement 1: 1-158
DOI:10.1080/02724634.2011.627074
http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/ujvp20/current

The dicynodont wastebasket genus Dicynodon is revised following a comprehensive
review of nominal species. Most nominal species of Dicynodon pertain to other
well-known dicynodont genera, especially Oudenodon and Diictodon. Of the Karoo
Permian species that are referable to "Dicynodon" sensu lato, we recognize four
common, valid morphospecies: Dicynodon lacerticeps, D. leoniceps, D. woodwardi,
and Dinanomodon gilli, comb. nov. Eleven additional species of "Dicynodon" are
recognized worldwide: D. alticeps, D. amalitzkii, D. bathyrhynchus, D.
benjamini, D. bogdaensis, D. huenei, D. limbus, D. sinkianensis, D. traquairi,
D. trautscholdi, and D. vanhoepeni. Morphometric analysis of D. lacerticeps and
D. leoniceps specimens recovers statistically significant separation between
these species in snout profile and squamosal shape, supporting their
distinction. A new phylogenetic analysis of Anomodontia reveals that
"Dicynodon" is polyphyletic, necessitating
 taxonomic revision at the generic level. D. benjamini and D. limbus are basal
cryptodonts, whereas the other valid "Dicynodon" species are basal
dicynodontoids. The genus Dicynodon is restricted to D. lacerticeps and D.
huenei. We reinstate use of Daptocephalus, Sintocephalus, Turfanodon,
Daqingshanodon, Jimusaria, and Gordonia for other species. We synonymize
Vivaxosaurus permirus and Dicynodon trautscholdi (as V. trautscholdi, comb.
nov.) We establish new generic names for several species formerly included in
Dicynodon: Peramodon amalitzkii, comb. nov., Keyseria benjamini, comb. nov.,
Euptychognathus bathyrhynchus, comb. nov., Syops vanhoepeni, comb. nov., and
Basilodon woodwardi, comb. nov. Of the main Karoo Permian taxa, Dicynodon,
Basilodon, and Dinanomodon range throughout the Cistecephalus and Dicynodon
assemblage zones, but Daptocephalus is restricted to the Dicynodon Assemblage
Zone.

=====
A dicynodont-related news story based on an article in the Journal of
Vertebrate Paleontology back in September.Tasmanian Dicynodont revealed
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2011/12/19/3394143.htm

based on:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02724634.2011.595858