Re: Triassic Guaibasaurus slept like a bird

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 3:05 AM, Jura <pristichampsus@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [Google translated]
>
> "Indeed, the issue of squatting Guaibasaurus was found with his hands folded
> around the body, and with the neck folded back. This position of rest is a
> unique feature of warm-blooded animals, which today is found only in birds
> and mammals living. Modern birds acquire this position in order to retain
> your body heat on cold
> nights, as opposed to cold-blooded animals like lizards and crocodiles. Thus,
> the Guaibasaurus, like modern birds and prayer is acuclillaría hands
> around your body in order to retain valuable heat during the night."
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> It was, no doubt, all curled up to keep warm during those "cold" Triassic
> nights. Prime example of being warm- blooded, just like all those
> warm-blooded snakes and turtles that also curl up at rest.

While I don't discount that another reason to curl up while sleeping
is to keep all body parts accounted for (and it doesn't preclude use
for thermoregulation), I do dispute that the temperature had as little
daily variation in the region during the Triassic as you say.
The ocean current regime along South America's coast would overall be
the same as now with the cold Humboldt (or whatever the predecessor
was called) going north cooling and drying the atmosphere.
http://media.web.britannica.com/eb-media/46/136146-004-CD208F62.gif
So, that's why we had (and have) a desert there and with clear skies
and little humidity, nights would be fairly cooler than the day.
Pangea's landmass tended to make these effects more extreme as it
would during the day work against the cooling effect and work with it
during the night. And this is  not taking the seasonal variation in
temperatures into account.
While it's true that the area in question was situated on the warm
temperate to arid cline I'm not sure I would expect much difference
(perhaps more extreme climate) from my situation living in a
Mediterranean region: one still gets frost in winter and the
occasional iced over puddles.

--
Renato Santos
http://dracontes.deviantart.com