Re: Dinosaur paleodiversity peaked in temperate zones

Couple of comments...

But first, it's soap-box time... The entire myth of an equitable
Mesozoic world is a terrible fallacy... I swear it's a dogmatic
hold-over from Victorian notions of "terrible lizards". In fact, the
silly part? Look at today's tropics... even they are far from
"equitable"...

OK... So, the article draws some plausible conclusions.  As the
article discusses, a biodiversity theory often cited to explain
diversity differences between the tropics and temperate zones is
seasonality... Sure, the tropics have seasons (normally just wet vs
dry), but in temperate zones, it's a tad bit more extreme, with
aspects like prolonged freezing temps and other conditions that can
bring terrestrial ecology to a halt... It's a "discrete" ecology. The
later is important because that doesn't happen in the tropics, which
has a "continuum" of ecological processes (all of this falls into
something called "latitudinal gradients in biodiversity".. although
it's not the latitude that does it, but the environmental variables
correlated with those latitudes).

Now, that's the situation today. In the Mesozoic, seasonality extremes
in the temperate zones were not as extreme, so both tropic and
temperate zones probably had similar "continuous" dynamics in ecology.
There are also studies indicating reduced temperature variations and
latitudinal differences in elevational climatic zonation may increase
opportunities for geographical isolation, speciation and the
associated build-up of species diversity in the tropics relative to
temperate zones.  Again, as seasonality wasn't as extreme in Mesozoic
temperate zones, coupled with indications that some type of species
partitioning/zonation was going on, especially in NA... having
biodiversity in temperate zones that was close to or higher than in
tropical zones makes sense... So, add this to the article's conclusion
about the importance of land area... Good food for thought, I think.

But... I believe a word of caution is needed. We don't have a
super-firm understanding of why biodiversity is as it is today.  Even
the fundamentals are still being debated. In addition, when studying
ecological patterns, specifically, latitudinal trends in species
diversity, resolving/taking into account spatial scale is a
fundamental factor. In other words, what's regional and what's local
diversity?  The number of species within a biome, or continent, or
climatic zone is regional diversity that's determined by regional
factors such as geology, climate, migration, and extinction. Local
diversity concerns the number of species within a patch of forest, a
river, a valley, etc. I think this has a huge implication for
determining fossil species diversities because of the obvious
preservational bias factors this invokes. So, I think one must be very
careful about resolving fossil diversity for these obvious reasons.

Good article.

Kris

A couple of interesting "why biodiversity is different between
temperate and tropical zones"...

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/274/1628/2995.full.pdf

http://www.eolss.net/Sample-Chapters/C20/E6-142-TE-20.pdf

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/07/100720162314.htm