Re: Titanosaur vertebra from Antarctica

From: Ben Creisler
bscreisler@yahoo.com
I noticed this morning that the pdf for this article can now be downloaded for
free at the abstract link.
=======
Ignacio A. Cerda, Ariana Paulina Carabajal, Leonardo Salgado, Rodolfo A. Coria,
Marcelo A. Reguero, Claudia P. Tambussi and Juan J. Moly (2011 [2012])
The first record of a sauropod dinosaur from Antarctica.
Naturwissenschaften (advance online publication)
DOI: 10.1007/s00114-011-0869-x
http://www.springerlink.com/content/b83356604xk128m5/
Sauropoda is one of the most diverse and geographically widespread clades of
herbivorous dinosaurs, and until now, their remains have now been recovered
from all continental landmasses except Antarctica. We report the first record
of a sauropod dinosaur from Antarctica, represented by an incomplete caudal
vertebra from the Late Cretaceous of James Ross Island. The size and morphology
of the specimen allows its identification as a lithostrotian titanosaur. Our
finding indicates that advanced titanosaurs achieved a global distribution at
least by the Late Cretaceous.