Diapsid skull mechanical design tested on Sphenodon

From: Ben Creisler
bscreisler@yahoo.com

New in PLoS ONE:

Curtis, N,, Jones, M.E.H., Shi J., O'Higgins, P., Evans, S.E., et al. (2011)
Functional Relationship between Skull Form and Feeding Mechanics in Sphenodon,
and Implications for Diapsid Skull Development.
PLoS ONE 6(12): e29804.
doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0029804
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0029804

The vertebrate skull evolved to protect the brain and sense organs, but with
the appearance of jaws and associated forces there was a remarkable structural
diversification. This suggests that the evolution of skull form may be linked
to these forces, but an important area of debate is whether bone in the skull
is minimised with respect to these forces, or whether skulls are mechanically
"over-designed" and constrained by phylogeny and development. Mechanical
analysis of diapsid reptile skulls could shed light on this longstanding
debate. Compared to those of mammals, the skulls of many extant and extinct
diapsids comprise an open framework of fenestrae (window-like openings)
separated by bony struts (e.g., lizards, tuatara, dinosaurs and crocodiles), a
cranial form thought to be strongly linked to feeding forces. We investigated
this link by utilising the powerful engineering approach of multibody dynamics
analysis to predict the physiological forces
 acting on the skull of the diapsid reptile Sphenodon. We then ran a series of
structural finite element analyses to assess the correlation between bone
strain and skull form. With comprehensive loading we found that the
distribution of peak von Mises strains was particularly uniform throughout the
skull, although specific regions were dominated by tensile strains while others
were dominated by compressive strains. Our analyses suggest that the frame-like
skulls of diapsid reptiles are probably optimally formed (mechanically ideal:
sufficient strength with the minimal amount of bone) with respect to functional
forces; they are efficient in terms of having minimal bone volume, minimal
weight, and also minimal energy demands in maintenance.