Re: Enantiornithine Birds in China

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 5:05 AM, Ben Creisler <bscreisler@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Xia, W. and Zihui, Z. (2011),
> Enantiornithine Birds in China.
> Acta Geologica Sinica (English Edition) 85: 1211–1223.
> doi: 10.1111/j.1755-6724.2011.00582.x
> http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1755-6724.2011.00582.x/abstract

I don't know if this is helpful to anyone but I found a free pdf available here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/76611820/Wang-X-and-Zhang-Z-2011-Enantiornithine-Birds-in-China-Acta-Geologica-Sinica-Vol-85-Nº-6-1211-1223

Among the roll-call of Chinese enantiornitheans listed in this review
is _Aberratiodontus_.  This is likely a synonym of _Yanornis_,  and
therefore a euornithean, not an enantiornithean.

One useful thing that's mentioned is that the enantiornithean
_Shanweiniao_ might have had aerodynamic tail-feathers, as discussed
in the original description (O'Connor et al., 2009).  This bird has
four subparallel, closely aligned, vaned rectrices associated with
(and directed toward) the pygostyle, although it's not clear from the
preservation if they formed a tail-fan.  In any case, the arrangement
of rectrices in _Shanweiniao_ raises the possibility that the tail had
an aerodynamic function - unlike the tails of other non-ornithuromorph
birds that have a pygostyle (e.g., confuciusornithids, _Protopteryx_,
_Paraprotopteryx_, _Dapingfangornis_) which have one or two pairs of
ribbon-like, non-aerodynamic rectrices that appear to have been used
only for display.

Cheers

Tim