Re: Last Dinosaur of 2011

I'm still incredibly skeptical about the validity of Spinops as a
distinct taxon from Centrosaurus.

---

Michael O'Sullivan

Palaeobiology Research Group
Postgraduate Student
Burnaby Building
Burnaby Road
Portsmouth
PO1 3QL

Email:michael.osullivan@port.ac.uk
>>> Jaime Headden  31/12/11 9:16 AM >>>

_Acta Palaeontologica Polonica_ released it's final issue of the year,
right at the end of it. This issue contains one new dinosaurian taxon --
an ornithischian -- and two discussions of other named dinosaurian taxa,
one sauropod and one ornithischian.

Farke et al. describe what is likely the official last dinosaur named
for year 2011: *Spinops sternbergorum,* meaning that at least the date
"2011" won't need to be changed to "2012". It also means that *Spinops
sternbergorum* caps out the Year of the Ceratopsian and its plethora of
new taxa. (Farke et al., pdf here:
http://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app56/app20100121.pdf,
supplemental info here:
http://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/SOM/app56-Farke_etal_SOM.pdf)

Little mentioned, however, is the cranial osteology and ontogeny
described for *Saurolophus angustirostris* by Phil Bell (pdf here:
http://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app56/app20100061.pdf)

And of course, Denver Fowler and Bob Sullivan provide new remains
attributed to *Alamosaurus sanjuanensis* which project it at truly
top-of-the-sauropod size. I remain skeptical over assigning material not
only with ontogenetic differences of gross size and material composition
from holotypes, especially holotypes base don juveniles (or teeth).
However, the work itself substantiates a sauropodan-sized animal, and
that's nothing to shake a brachiosaur at. (Pdf here:
http://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app56/app20100105.pdf)

Congrats for coming in at the end, and making it just barely before
2012. Hopefully more stuff can be produced before it all ends in May!

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/

his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a
Billion Backs)