Re: Paleontology and Dinosaurology 101: What layperson MUST to know about?

I will have to agree with R.T. on that the "anti-science" community has
disseminated their voice for a fair amount of time.  With the increased use of
the internet and social media they will continue to skew scientific knowledge.
Most lay persons don't watch scientific documentary's,  why watch that when you
can watch American Idol?

Where I currently live (eastern Montana) on one or both of the radio
channels... Ken Hamm(?) comes on and talks about creationism and what science
doesn't know...even with out dated information.  Its the longest minute of my
day.

I think science as a whole should counter what is being said.  As it is the
education system that will fail if this gets out of hand.  We have already seen
bills pop up at the state levels in support of creationism of not to balance
out what is being said.

SVP, academy of science and others should be able to combine their resources
and talents to get people re-educated.  Looking at social media sites and the
comments that are left on news stories show what a percentage of what people
know about the sciences.  For example... National Geographic on Facebook posted
a link about Titanoceratops... 152+ comments including verses from genesis
explaining how this happened and others that sort of get it.

We have the opportunity to reverse this trend.  Knowledge is power but lack of
knowledge is devastating.

Kelly Wicks.