Re: Paleontology and Dinosaurology 101: What layperson MUST to know about?

Dr Holtz,

Great post but if I may be so bold as to point out the imprecision in this:
> * While most of the coal swamp plants reproduced by means of spores, one
> branch evolved a method of reproduction using a seed.
Spermatophytes still reproduce by means of spores, pollen and
macrospores: a seed has a greater analogy to an amniote egg.

Also
> * Early terrestrial vertebrates were often competent at moving around on
> land as adults, but typically had to go back to the water in order to
> reproduce. In the coal swamps one branch of these animals evolved a
> specialized egg that allowed them to reproduce on land, and thus avoid the
> tadpole stage.
I was under the impression that the tadpole stage was a specialization
of Anura+Caudata...

--
Renato Santos
http://dracontes.deviantart.com