Re: cause of Gigantism in sauropods

Some (Loggerheads) in the Sargasso sea. Terrestrial analogue?

And, in general, turtles can't be a good analogue for sauropods.
1. They appear out of a completely different medium and so do not
alert predators. Compare this to a lumbering herd of sauropods
trekking to nesting grounds.
2. Because of water access, they can _and do_ lay in places with
reduced predation pressure. Can't think of a place Titanosaurs could
get to that their predators could not.
3. Not sure of specifics here but would bet that sauropod eggs' optima
were more stringent than those of turtles.