Re: cause of Gigantism in sauropods

> Are they? Even adult African elephants, which are *at
> least* 20x the mass of lions, are occasionally killed by
> lions. Lone wolves can kill moose 10-15x heavier. Was any
> sauropod actually 20x or more heavier than the largest
> contemporaneous predator?

I'll note that in the vast majority of cases, a lone wolf is only going to be
killing a moose in deep snow, where their mobility is severely limited. Winter
is also when many herbivores have to deal nutritional deficiencies, which may
them even more vulnerable to predation. Such instances may not be easily
extrapolated to the balmy Mesozoic, though I suppose drought may similarly
limit resources.