Re: cause of Gigantism in sauropods

Very cool.  I've read about that previously.  I find it interesting that to
some extent, if we considered felid predator:prey ratios to be an acceptable
proxy for theropods (which I doubt, actually, more on that some other time),
then the carnivora discussion speaks to some extent in favor of both models:
many felids are capable of taking down prey a few times their mass, but very
few do so regularly.  Bobcats apparently have more skill in this than other
cats, or else they encounter wounded/injured animals more frequently.  I also
note, again, that the inverse size effect seems to hold (though it's going out
on a limb a bit): smaller felids, like bobcats, entertain greater maximum
prey:predator size ratios than larger solitary cats.