RE: cause of Gigantism in sauropods

1&volume=45&issue=5&startPage=833

Already tested and rejected:

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/276/1677/4303.abstract

Sauropod dinosaurs evolved moderately sized genomes unrelated to body size

   1. Chris L. Organ1,*,
   2. Stephen L. Brusatte2,3 and
   3. Koen Stein4

Abstract

Sauropodomorph dinosaurs include the largest land animals to have ever lived,
some reaching up to 10 times the mass of an African
elephant. Despite their status defining the upper range for body size in land
animals, it remains unknown whether sauropodomorphs
evolved larger-sized genomes than non-avian theropods, their sister taxon, or
whether a relationship exists between genome size and
body size in dinosaurs, two questions critical for understanding broad patterns
of genome evolution in dinosaurs. Here we report
inferences of genome size for 10 sauropodomorph taxa. The estimates are derived
from a Bayesian phylogenetic generalized least
squares approach that generates posterior distributions of regression models
relating genome size to osteocyte lacunae volume in
extant tetrapods. We estimate that the average genome size of sauropodomorphs
was 2.02 pg (range of species means: 1.77-2.21 pg), a
value in the upper range of extant birds (mean = 1.42 pg, range: 0.97-2.16 pg)
and near the average for extant non-avian reptiles
(mean = 2.24 pg, range: 1.05-5.44 pg). The results suggest that the variation
in size and architecture of genomes in extinct
dinosaurs was lower than the variation found in mammals. A substantial
difference in genome size separates the two major clades
within dinosaurs, Ornithischia (large genomes) and Saurischia (moderate to
small genomes). We find no relationship between body size
and estimated genome size in extinct dinosaurs, which suggests that neutral
forces did not dominate the evolution of genome size in
this group.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216