RE: cause of Gigantism in sauropods

  *Tyrannosaurus rex* has been called "heterodont by some authors, an allusion
not only to the ziphodont crowns of the typical jaw margins and the D-shaped
premax teeth, but also to the lower-crowned, broad teeth in the rear of the
jaws. These latter teeth show less recurvature and blunter apices than other
teeth in the jaws excepting the "incisiforms" of the premaxillae, and were
suggested by some authors of relating to bone-crushing. Similar teeth, although
much more incrassate, are found in living crocodilians, some of which lack the
morphology but others (such as *Alligator mississippiensis*) showing an extreme
form of it. This has been linked to their increased durophagous behavior over,
say, more "flesh-eating" *Crocodilus niloticus*.

  But I have never heard of a primary bone-crushing manner of dispatching prey,
nor with the brevity of such exapted teeth in the rear only portions of the jaw
do I think that *Tyrannosaurus rex* could have employed a crushing-bite method
so easily. Because of their position in crocodilians and blunt-toothed lizards
(*Varanus exanthematicus* as well, also durophagous), specialized care in
processing is usually done to select foods (turtles in the crocs, gastropods
and even eggs in the lizards) and in a precise manner (they are "handled" into
position). I can see this behavior as an extension of carcass-stripping and
marrow-scavenging, but not as a primary dispatching method.

  Despite this, tyrannosaurids all still seem pretty head-dominated as adults,
so much so that their jaws WERE the primary tool of killing, as they pretty
much lacked any other. My off the cuff impression is that of jaw-based
grappling and then disabling through progressively more grievous wounds. Horner
can even have his say here as a tyrannosaur can spend a day or two (as wolves
can do) following previously injured prey in order to ensure it keeps the
eventual kill. None of this requires "slash-and-burn" as inferred for
*Allosaurus*/*Carnotaurus*. However, I am glad to be wrong on this, as I also
suspect *Tyrannosaurus rex* may have occasionally used the leopard strategy: A
precise crushing bite to the skull -- this way, Dan's suggesting can be true as
well.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)