Re: cause of Gigantism in sauropods

True... I think sauropods would eat almost all plants they were able
to find (if not venomous) because of their capacity to digest
low-quality food. My hypothesis is that the largest trees would tend
to supress the development of smaller plant types by interferring in
photosynthesis. Larger plants would require larger sauropods to eat
them, so if no sauropod ate them, perhaps they would overtake large
tracts of the landscape and primary biomass production available to
dinosaurs would be much smaller. If sauropods were too much
destructive of those trees, we would see they transforming their
environment, permitting other plants to grow, and then other smaller
dinosaur herbivores to be found, eating the smaller plants. Sauropods
may have helped making the savannahs in which they lived, putting the
forest into check, elephant-like. Sauropods would also likely use the
early sucession smaller plants as resource.
That is why I would expect larger, stronger or more long-necked
sauropods as correlated with taller, and correspondingly taller,
trees.