Re: cause of Gigantism in sauropods

On 2/14/2011 11:44 AM, Augusto Haro wrote:
we may ask if there was some correlation between
maximal plant size and sympatric maximal sauropod size.

Good question. However, I believe that Lepidodendron and other arborescent lycopodophytes in the Carboniferous coal swamp forests reached heights of 30 meters. That may be the result of competition between plants for for sunlight, because all tetrapod denizens of those forests were pretty much belly crawlers and could exert no pressure for plants to grow that tall. Maybe sauropods did exert pressures to plants to grow taller, but the Carboniferous forests show that such growth can occur for other reasons. And why are Giant Sequoias so damn tall?

Dan