Re: Egyptian Plovers and similar symbiosis

clownfish and anemones
----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Hartman" <skeletaldrawing@gmail.com>
To: "Dino List" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:51 PM
Subject: Egyptian Plovers and similar symbiosis

So, I'm sure most of the DML readers have heard of the "Egyptian
Plover cleaning the teeth of Nile crocs" bit, and I further expect
most know that this behavior is at best undocumented, at worst a myth.

The question I have for you all is: does anyone know of any hard facts
documenting the plover/croc behavior?  Failing that, what similar
forms of behavioral symbiosis can you think of that are in fact
documented?  The closest I could come up with is an oxpecker feeding
off the backs of large mammals, but that's not really all that close.

Thanks!

--
Scott Hartman
Scientific Advisor/Technical Illustrator