Re: Egyptian Plovers and similar symbiosis

On Wed, Feb 16th, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Scott Hartman <skeletaldrawing@gmail.com>
wrote:

> So, I'm sure most of the DML readers have heard of the "Egyptian
> Plover cleaning the teeth of Nile crocs" bit, and I further expect
> most know that this behavior is at best undocumented, at worst a myth.

Egyptian plovers do form a symbiotic bond with nile crocs, but it has more to
do with mutual nest
guarding. The plover gains the advantage of a bloody great croc preventing many
predators from
approaching the plover's nest, while the croc gains an early warning system to
alert it to the
presence of stealthy monitor lizards who would gladly make a meal of croc eggs
(or plover eggs,
for that matter). As soon as the plover gives the warning cry, the croc leaves
the water and
approaches its own nest.

As for the mouth-cleaning behaviour - has this photo been faked?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xEehooYC6Rk/S8ei6wdNEDI/AAAAAAAAB1A/f7GVqner-
S0/s1600/crocodile-plover.jpg

Dann Pigdon