RE: Coelacanth article in current NatGeo

> Some modern lobefins (i.e., some of the lungfish) can use
> them to burrow.
>
> Various rayfins have converged on the lobefin form for use
> as underwater "feet", either to brace themselves against
> currents or to
> scuttle along on the sea floor.

Those seem like rather narrow niches, and it is my understanding that lobe
finned fish were once widespread, and originated in marine and not freshwater
environments.

Maybe my understanding of their diversity is wrong, but it seems odd that at
one point there were so many fleshy finned fish, and now there are almost none.