Re: Coelacanth article in current NatGeo

> >  Maybe my understanding of
> their diversity is wrong, but it seems odd
> >  that at one point there were so many fleshy
> finned fish, and now
> >  there are almost none.
>
> A couple of mass extinctions.

Of course, but prior to those, the lobe fins were not restricted to
bottom/river dwellers correct? if so, what purpose did those fleshy fins serve?

Its my understanding the basal lobe fins did not live in rivers, or along the
sea floor, where such fins may have been useful for holding the fish against a
surface. What was the original use?